The Hospitalist provides medical care services to inpatient population including admission, inpatient care coordination, and discharge. The incumbent of this position collaborates with various medical disciplines across the organization while providing excellent patient care and will complete care documentation and other administrative functions required of the physician. Additionally, the Hospitalist engages in hospital care improvement processes. Reports to the VP, Physician Practice Operations and/or designated performance management team as required.
The incumbent of this position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Admits patients to inpatient service of hospital.
- Plans, implements, and directs the multidisciplinary team in the provision of inpatient services to patients under the physician's care.
- Completes History and Physical Exams, orders laboratory tests, and orders radiographic examinations as appropriate for patient care.
- Orders treatments and medications as indicated by patient conditions.
- Responds to CODE BLUE and acute emergencies as required.
- Answers calls from nursing staff concerning patients requiring medical attention.
- Arranges and conducts family meetings where appropriate.
- Plans and coordinates care with all members of the health care team to assure quality and efficiency. Consults specialty physicians when indicated by patient condition and clinical practice guidelines.
- Practices evidence-based medicine, utilizes standardized protocols and order sets, and coordinates with care management and nursing staff to achieve most appropriate length of stay.
- Prepares medical records and patient progress notes in a timely and accurate fashion, in compliance with applicable facility and governmental guidelines.
- Prepares and enters appropriate diagnostic and billing codes into facility-designated system within 24 hours of provision of services.
- Actively participates in patient satisfaction, utilization management, and other quality improvement activities of employer and/or when required by third-party payers.
- Participates in employer orientation, compliance, and mandatory training and education programs.
- Serves on facility committees as requested.
- Complies with applicable Rules and Regulations of facility and abides by all requirements of facility's Medical Staff Bylaws.
- Performs all services, acts, and duties connected with the position in accordance with the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must meet all criteria necessary for Medical Staff privileges in the area of Adult Hospitalist as approved by Mary Washington Hospital medical staff bylaws and the Mary Washington Healthcare Board of Directors.
- Must be a graduate of an AMA approved school of medicine or osteopathy (ECFMG candidate if foreign medical school graduate).
- Licensed to practice medicine in the State of Virginia required.
- Active DEA License required.
- Must be eligible for participation in Medicare, Medicaid, and third party insurances.
- Must complete Board Certification in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine or Board Eligible within 5 years of completion of residency training.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Prior Hospitalist experience preferred.