High school diploma or GED required
The Lead Unit Aide provides support for the OR nursing staff by providing transport of patients to the OR, positioning assistance in the OR, running errands as needed, between case room, cleaning and stocking of supplies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Other duties may be assigned.
• Oversees unit aide assignments, delegates tasks to the unit aides to assure priority task are done first.
• Setup up and test specialty equipment
• Troubleshoot problems with video towers, ESU generators, arthroscopy towers, pumps, surgical tables, etc.
• Assembles and maintains patient positioning equipment.
• Trains new unit aides to the duties of the department.
• Able to change CO2 tanks to maintain functioning insufflators.
• Transport patients safely to OR/pre-op areas. Correctly identifies patient by armband and reports any delays in transport immediately to charge nurse.
• Cleans OR suites between cases using proper, through and timely techniques.
• Stock supplies in sub-sterile areas and scrub areas. Maintains par level and reorder OS specialty supplies as assigned.
• Applies principles of standard precautions at all times. Safely solidifies and disposes of blood and other bio waste after each procedure.
• Responds promptly to all pages from peri-operative areas. Runs errands to other departments in a timely manner. Will co-sign Blood release form in Blood Bank after verification of name, date of birth, and blood ID number. Transports blood to appropriate OR Suite and Validates correct Patient with Circulator.
• Assists with patient positioning/moving in the OR under direction of nursing staff.
• Assists with housekeeping duties to maintain cleanliness and order in the department.
• Returns equipment to appropriate area after use.
• Restock supplies in the department as needed, this is to include medication, IV fluids, and biologicals with the exception of narcotics.
• Identify correct specimen and documentation for all frozen sections, Microbiology and Cytology specimens before transport. Maintains "Chain of Custody" security in transporting needle localization specimens to off-site Radiology and final disposition in Pathology.
• Cleans and makes up patient stretches and beds as needed.
• Maintains housecleaning closet and surgical-sub sterile area in an organized manner consistent with all regulatory compliance standards.
• Washes schedule board strips.
• Utilize free time to wipe down equipment and keep hallways clear.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED required.
• Minimum of 6 months of experience.
• BLS Certification required.